If you spend any amount of time paying attention to celebrities, you may be under the impression that actors, singers, and other luminaries must be born with perfectly straight, white, dazzling teeth.
Well, a not-so-hidden-secret among the Hollywood set is that many famous people owe their gorgeous grins to a cosmetic dentistry procedure called dental veneers. And while dental veneers originated in Tinseltown, they are no longer an option just for the celebrity set.
Of all the cosmetic dentistry procedures we offer, dental veneers are perhaps the most transformative, able to turn around even the most worn-down teeth. It’s a way to restore your confidence and give you the showstopper of a smile you want. For a cosmetic dentistry consultation at Walker Family Dental in Anthony, KS, call 620-214-5057 or fill out our online form.
What Is a Dental Veneer?
A dental veneer is a thin covering, or shell, that is placed over the front of the tooth for a flawless — but perfectly natural — look. You may get a dental veneer on just one tooth or several, depending on need. Common materials for veneers include porcelain, ceramic, and composite resin. Veneers have the benefit of being able to hide multiple dental flaws at once, including:
- Discoloration, including stains too dark or deep to be helped by cosmetic teeth whitening procedures
- Cosmetic chips or breaks
- Worn-down teeth
- Teeth that are uneven or irregularly shaped
- Minor misalignment issues
- Teeth with gaps between them
How Are Porcelain Dental Veneers Applied?
At Walker Family Dental, we offer porcelain dental veneers, which our patients love for their stunning, lifelike appearance. They mimic the translucent quality of natural teeth and are custom-crafted to match your smile. They are strong, stain-resistant, and with proper care, can last decades.
- First, we will thoroughly examine your mouth to make sure you are a good candidate for porcelain veneers.
- We will need to prepare each tooth by removing a small layer of enamel in order to make room for the veneer.
- Once your teeth are prepared, we will make a mold of each tooth and decide on the perfect shade for your smile.
- Your custom veneers will then be manufactured.
- Once your veneers are ready, we will check that the fit is perfect. We will then clean your prepared teeth and permanently bond the veneers to them using a special cement and light to cure it.
- Any necessary adjustments may be made immediately after bonding or at a follow-up visit.
Do Porcelain Dental Veneers Require Special Care?
You don’t need to learn any special cleaning or care routines to keep your dental veneers in good shape, but it is necessary to practice good oral hygiene habits. This includes:
- Brushing twice daily for two minutes at a time with fluoride toothpaste
- Flossing at least once per day
- Rinsing with a fluoride mouthwash
- Visiting us twice per year for cleanings and exams
- Minimizing foods and drinks that will stain your dental veneers